Creating G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 11 by Daniel Klingensmith is now on Kickstarter and is funded with 3 days to go. You can check out all the details below by following the Kickstarter link.
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 11 Support Link
Under official license from Hasbro comes the release of “Creating G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero” book series, Volume 11! The eleventh book in the series, “Creating G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero” (Volume 11) is an 80 page, 9”X10” library of designs and stories ranging from 1982-1994, including some unproduced concepts! This fully colored book will be printed on 100# paper in a Soft Perfect Bind format with a visible spine like a graphic novel. Although there have been many books written about G.I. Joe, what makes the “Creating G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero” series unique is the fact that the information shared within the book comes from exclusive interviews with former employees who worked on the G.I. Joe brand. Some of the things to expect include:
• The inspiration and influences behind the different figures and vehicles straight from the designers’ point of view…
• Alternate names for figures and vehicles pulled from Larry Hama’s dossiers or from the original concepts themselves…
• Details pulled from Larry Hama’s dossiers after comparing them with the released filecard on the final product…
• Information pulled directly from internal memos regarding decisions or changes made to the brand in the 80s and 90s
• Insider stories from former employees ranging from Marketing to Engineering regarding the changes that occurred during the design process…
• Conceptual designs and photographs that will show the progression and different stages of creating a figure or vehicle. This includes concept pencils and inks, sculpture sheets, color studies, color presentation art, models, and much much more!
Creating G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 11
Picked up two copies of previous volumes. They make for some interesting and entertaining reading. Haven't seen Volume 10 available yet, though.
I have Volumes 1 & 2, maybe Volume 3 as well. I'm pretty nuanced on my interest in GIJoe, mostly 1982-86/87. Plus right now as a post-grad student, my book budget is already blown! ;-)
I picked up volume 8 a few months ago, and I plan on getting the rest. Nice to see production art and prototypes of the toys.
These books are great! I have all the previous volumes and backed Vol. 11 on day one. So glad it got funded!
For anyone that hasn't purchased any of these before, BBTS has a bunch of the older volumes on sale for 50% if you want to catch up. It really is the best thing any fan of the original figures can buy.
Ok, looks like I was wrong, I actually have volume 7 not 8. Worth getting for all the reasons stated.
Keep reading: Creating G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 11 - Page 2
Not a member yet? Join HissTank Now!